Inspired by Rich Armstrong & Steve Baker's book, Get in the Game: How to Create Rapid Financial Results and Lasting Cultural Change.
Right now, there is at least one financial or operational number in your company—something right at the heart of your business—that if improved in the short-term, would have a dramatic effect on your business. Does every single person in your organization understand how important that number is?
The Critical Number defines winning. It rallies people around a common goal and provides a focus on what’s most important and critical to the company’s success. When the Critical Number is correctly identified, targeted, and tied to a reward—the rules of The Game have been set. The Critical Number becomes the focus of The Game.
Think of it as your ‘The One Thing’. The one thing that at any given time, is going to have the greatest impact on your business. The one thing you must improve to succeed and that clearly defines winning!
- Why is the Critical Number important to the company’s success? Your people’s success?
- What issues discussed in the business review process supports the selection of the Critical Number?
- How will this Critical Number make an impact on the company?
- How has the team been included in the selection of the Critical Number?Increasingly important
- If you do nothing with the Critical Number, what would be the impact to the company?
- Who can directly or indirectly impact the Critical Number?
- Is the achievement of the Critical Number reasonable & achievable?
- What increase business literacy can be realized by focusing on the Critical Number?
Find out more about how to open the books and empower your employees in the step-by-step guide to implementing the Great Game of Business below.
Other articles you might like: